Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Educational Dillema

I am considering homeschooling my children and have spent the summer learning about homeschooling, networking with homeschool families, and practicing at home to see if I can do it. I feel confident that I can do it successfully. As a homeschooling parent, my goals would be: to provide a holistic approach toward education, take more field trips, spend the best hours of the day with my children, foster a love of learning, emphasize conflict resolution, and to provide more stability in our family life through our frequent moves. There are moments though, when I think I must be mad! Z will be in first grade, F-pre k, and O is 2yo. It would be bonding time with the youngest, a chance to get some projects around the house finished, alone time for me during nap time, and time to prepare for my return to school. I do wonder if I am a glutton for punishment- I do like to make things more difficult.

My interest in homeschooling is not in opposition to our neighborhood school. We move frequently and this would provide a strong base for the children when we move. I am concerned about the emphasis placed on testing in our schools. I feel this does not encourage complex, logical thought, and retention of information. In our society, we need people who can participate in and appreciate debates, civic responsibilities, and community service. I want my children to think clearly and logically, be socially conscious, politically aware, respectful of the environment, and tolerant. I have seen an open school model in California that met all my goals and expectations. No such luck in AZ. I could go into a social analysis on the benefit of homeschooling and training of a work force and population, but for today, I will spare you the soapbox speech.

My dilemma is this: do I homeschool or attend our local public school? We have a wonderful public school down the street. Most of the teachers are great. The school has activities for the children to participate in- plays, assemblies, clubs, carnivals, bike rally, and fieldtrips. It is also only 4 blocks away. On the negative side- girls get very catty and vicious around 2nd grade; the quality of the teacher instruction is hit or miss in the upper grades; lunches are short about 15 minutes; the younger kids are still expected to have outdoor recess when the temp outside is over 100 degrees; classroom management minimizes student to student interaction -in turn limiting opportunities for conflict & resolution; classroom size is about 24 in Kindergarten and 25 in first grade. If your child is inquisitive and bright it takes a special teacher to expect more out your child and not bore the child into hating the learning process. It is an excelling school, which is a big deal in the Chandler school district, but one of the many steps to achieve that rating, the school starts training children in Kindergarten how to do drills and tests.

I feel as though I am considering something socially rebellious to teach my children at home, yet I am encouraged and excited at the possibilities of doing so. I worry that my children will regret not having the good parts of school in their memories and experiences. I don't want to overprotect and shelter my kids and I want them to have a broad range of experiences. I worry that I cannot offer them what they get at school. Then I get frustrated that I am trying to mimic the school experience and not forge my own path. I get scared that I will get mother burn out, but then again I may find new joy in motherhood that I have missed or taken for granted.

A little more information for you: my older children Z-6 and F-4 are exceptionally bright. Of course I am a proud parent, but we are usually pretty modest about this around the children and this is the feedback we receive from other parents and educators.
O-2 yrs is probably bright too, but really what can I expect from a two year old?



F is methodical and literal. Loves legos, order, pleasing people, and riding his bike. He is kind, generous, and passionate. He struggles with strong emotions and handling social conflict. He is a big reason why I feel so strongly about learning conflict resolution skills in the classroom. He loves numbers and math and although he can read, he does not like to read. He gets frustrated that he has to practice it to learn the skill.

Z is creative, curious, disorganized, and strong willed. She loves to read and enjoys chapter books. Friendships are important to her- especially deep friendships- not acquaintances. I often wonder if the time spent at school encourages close friendships or many acquaintances? She also likes manipulating numbers. She is empathetic and competent. Outdoor play and bike time are treasured activities. She enjoys school most of the time, but is often bored w/ the content. The homework is so easy, I struggle to get her to acknowledge it long enough to finish it. She also gets a terrible attitude during the school year and is exceptionally tired in the evening, in spite of 12 hours sleep.

Our family moves frequently- we have moved 4 times between 2001-2007. We are facing a prospective move next year for a temporary development assignment for work to either China or Oregon. We will be in Oregon 6-9 months and if we go to China instead, it would be 2-3 years. Easing these transitions for the children is a priority for me We currently live in AZ. It is fairly easy to homeschool in this state.


What are your thoughts and experiences with homeschool? Personally? Professionally? Family dynamics?

What are the experiences of homeschoolers you know going to college?

What are your thoughts and experiences with public schools? Personally? Professionally? Family dynamics?

8 comments:

  1. Desiree
    First i understand your dillema. Michael and I have thought about homeschooling. There are also a lot of moms in our playgroup that are thinking about the same thing due to the lack of values in the schools in the suburbs of chicago. First of all you have to look at the personalities of each of your children and how the will react to you being their teacher and mom. Second, I have a friend who does home school all 5 of her kids and she says you have to have a room dedicated as the school room and it is only for school. Third, I agree with you that is a good idea since you do move a lot. However since Z- has a need for lasting friendship you might want to get involved in a home schooling network where she can meet others that are homeschooled. F- you said doesn't like to be told that he needs to practice reading, that would make me wonder how he will react in a school type situation with you, his mother as the teacher. How well will O- cooperate when you are trying to teach the older two? I have thought a lot about it. Jared is pre-K, Elisia is 2 and Quinn is 10 months. How will I juggle all of their needs and school since they are still so small?

    On the plus side, since Z and F are so bright they will probably be able to excel faster than if they were in a public school setting.

    Also if possible try to do the extra school activities like art, music,m gym with other home schoolers or in the public school.

    I hope this was helpful, keep me updated as to what your decision will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Des,

    I think this sounds like a great decision! I obviously haven't looked into it to the extent that you have, but we are hoping to homeschool as well. I think the kids can get social interactions and much of what we like about school from homeschool co-ops that meet regularly for field trips and other activities, or other types of recreational associations. I feel that public schools reward only one way of learning and don't encourage creativity. Plus, from what I remember, maybe 1/3 of the time was valuable instruction, and the rest was babysitting. Also, if homeschooled, you can allow your child to go beyond the prescribed curriculum and explore her interests and creativity to the fullest extent. When I look back on my public school, which was one of the best in NJ, I see how some teachers stifled my interests in a subject b/c of how they presented it, whereas others who were more willing to let us self-study enhanced my interests in other subjects.
    A lot of states also allow students to participate in school sports even if they're homeschooled.
    You'll also be able to give your kids an alternative to American pop culture. I've known a few homeschooled kids in the past, and they were all incredibly socially adjusted and bright. I'd love to talk more if you're interested.
    Jaskaran

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I can tell you put a lot of thought into this and it is something you care deeply about. I have no idea how to tell you what is right for your family. In addition to talking with Z and the hubby I would fast and pray about it. It is a big decision and I would trust the Lord to see the whole picture and help you make a decision that is right for your family.

    Also, have you given a look at the Waldorf Schools? I wonder if their approach to learning would meet your desires for Z? I think it is hard to get into, but worth looking at if it is an approach you like. There are Waldorf schools all over the US- so a potential move to OR would not interrupt this approach to learning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We go to public schools.

    As far as friends go, I have felt that Eli (almost 8) has established the best friendships with boys he has invited to our house to play. Their friendship bonds grow much stronger this way than on the recess playground.

    That's all I can think of right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do it!! KG is only 6 months and i am already considering homeschooling her. :) Twin boys (6 yrs old) in my ward here in Singapore were doing a homeschool program where they went to the school for specials like p.e., art, and music (and maybe a few grade level field trips) so they would still be able to interact with other students and also get a public school experience. Would that be an option for you? (That family also moves frequently.)
    p.s. I didn't know you had a blog!!! And, you're moving AGAIN?!!! *tears*!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for all your thoughts and ideas. I am thankful that you took the time to respond. I am really torn and want to gather as much information as possible to make the best choice I can.

    BTW- We are keeping our house in AZ and plan to return when either assignment is finished. Aside from the insanely hot summers, we like where we live and have made some wonderful friends. We really have three possibilities and are waiting to see what each has to offer Bob's career and our family growth. We won't know until August.

    So Jamie, we may move back around the same time you Mike are finished with all your globetrotting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you asked......

    Point 1: School is not supportive of family and sibling relationships.

    As an adult, I have no contact with anyone who I knew in grade school. The relationship that matter are with family, especially sibings.

    School takes children away from the family. First during school hours and then by the homework (busywork) which takes away from family time after school.

    Family relationships are an important part of homeschooling. Building strong relationships takes time. When your child spends all day away from home, the child becomes less invested in the family relationship and more invested in temporary peer relationships.

    My oldest two daughters went to the same camp a few weeks ago. I had more than one camp counselor comment on the wonderful way my daughters interacted together.

    I've noticed that many children become disdainful of their younger siblings when they go off to school. Since school is so age segregated, children are taught to only want to be with children the same age. Nowhere else in you life do you hang out only with people who are exactly your age.

    Good parent/chid relationships take a lot of effort. If parent and child don't work well together, sending that child to school won't fix that problem. It will just make that problem easier to ignore until it blows up in your face later.

    I had two years of butting heads with my oldest daughter until we came to an understanding. Now that she is 14, our relationship is very good. If during that difficult time I had simply avoided the problem, at 14 we would be in the same place in our relationship that we started when she was 5. If as a parent you can't work well with your 5 year old, how will you do up against a 14 year old?

    There are so many more reasons to homeschool, but I need to take my two year old for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant to get back to you and post a long list of reasons to homeschool, but I'm too busy. So, I will take the lazy route and just link to previous posts that say what I want to say.

    Reasons to homeschool
    Is homeschooling right for you?

    Time - Homeschooling gives families time to do what matters most.

    Teaching children how to think - Help children to learn how to use their brain.


    Benefits of homeschooling
    Homer’s Odyssey – We were surprised to find our daughters enjoyed The Odyssey.

    Kids love to learn – Children can be learning when we least expect it.

    Stacking the deck – Homeschooling allows parents stack the deck in our favor.

    School would have ruined that kid! – Homeschooling allows children to learn when they are ready to learn.

    Resilient Children

    Getting started
    Baby steps to homeschooling

    Starting to homeschool

    Reasons to avoid government schools
    Public Education wastes money

    Textbooks are badly written

    Teacher quality in government schools is undependable

    Institutionalized education wastes time

    Socialization

    Schools Quash Student's Enthusiasm for Learning

    Slave to the system

    ReplyDelete