Saturday, September 27, 2008

Birthday Mayhem! Part 1

(My apologies in advance, I can't quite figure out the formatting issue I am having today, so keep on scrolling down to see the post! )

September and October are usually busy, exhausting months due to Z & F's birthday's-8 days apart. This year to take the sugar encrusted edge off the festivities and avoid the tears, we decided to try something new. We wanted to make the family celebration a big deal and the friend party- low key. For Z, she loves to read, loves nature, and butterflies. In celebration of her 7th birthday, we went to San Pedro Riparian Preserve to watch a humming bird survey. They catch, weigh, measure, band, and inspect humming birds. Then they let the visitors release the hummingbirds.














































Z got to adopt a humming bird, she named Zoe and released it.











































F also had a turn.

O was terrified the bird would use its long beak to hurt him and kept chanting "Ow, Owws, bug makes ow owws." He was super curious.









Z also made friends with a caterpillar. She wanted to take it home.





















We took a day trip to Sierra Vista to see the birds and stopped to visit a friend in Suarhita along the way. It is a town just south of Tucson. I hadn't seen K in around 15 years! We grew up in KS and MO. I was surprised to find out she was practically in our back yard! Now, she has 4 amazing children, and I have 3 awesome kids. We had a wonderful visit. She makes the most amazing bread and welcomed us into her home with a slice of bread and open arms.



After visiting the bird preserve, we stopped at Mag Pies pizza in Tucson on the way home. YUMM! It was a cool, clear night, we ate in their fenced in patio and O could run and play while we waited for our pizzas. It was such a relief to leave Pheonix behind and go somewhere a tiny bit cooler.
We returned home tired and happy from our trip. We drove around 400 miles round trip and have lovely memories of our day. Z said this was the best birthday present. Happy Birthday, sweet girl!

5 comments:

  1. What a fun day! Mike and I were just talking about what we should do for Isaac's b-day. As you know it will be here soon. He will be five so I was thinking I should make a big deal out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Z! I'm glad you had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I left a comment a few days ago and it never posted so here is my second try. :) I love this birthday idea! Isaac's birthday is just around the corner as you know. He wants to take everyone and I mean everyone to a pizza place! Yikes! And, yes, I love the little dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Desiree-

    Since I can't remember my username/password I'm using my wifes'. Hehe. It was great to see your comment. I have a question for you about the last picture in this post. Send me an email pretty please. My email is my name, (without the hyphen all one word) ~at~ sunflower ~dot~ com. The name should be 12 characters long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the unmoderated comments. I never got the email that anyone had posted. I had to delete a thousand or so emails to make room in my inbox. I am a bit of a digital packrat.

    ReplyDelete