Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Life is good

Today I walked to the eye doctor with my three kids in tow. I can't believe how much I love living near Portland, Oregon. The kids behaved well for the hour and a half we were at the doctor's office and afterward we went out to lunch and walked home. I didn't have to yell at the kids or beg them to stop harrassing each other. I love how accessible the shops and doctors' offices are and how I can leave my car parked for a few days and not drive anywhere if I don't want to. If I do want to go somewhere, I only have to drive 15 min-30 minutes to see some spectacular scenerey, nature preserve, or go into Portland. The best part though is it is only 70 degrees today- in the middle of June. For those of you not from Phoenix, you will probably not understand my love affair with a cool summer. I feel a vibrance, an energy, and a love of life I've not felt in a long time. I love how cool it is here.

Multnomah Falls, Oregon
Z & O enjoy the library
D, F, O, & Z enjoy the beautiful flowers at the Rhodedendron Garden in Portland, OR

When we moved from Phoenix to Portland, I felt so uptight and stressed out. I was totally burnt out. Between homeschooling, the move, my volunteer work, and purging the house of excess stuff- I had taken on more than I could handle alone. I guess I'm still learning how to ask for help. As we drove through California, visiting with old friends, I began to relax and find myself again. You know the person you want to be, the one that you lose the minute you start irrationally yelling at you kids- when their bickering is about to send you over the cliff of insanity. Oh wait, we don't yell at our children.....(most of the time). So I've rediscovered that person and I love how as we drove north and far away from the heat I just unwound. I'd almost say I'm pretty mellow these days. The most amazing part about finding my mellow side again is that my kids are unwinding and less defensive with each other. I really should have paid attention to my little mood barometers.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! These 2 new posts were awesome to read! Thanks for sharing! It sounds like life is awesome! I'm glad everything is going well for you!!!

    ReplyDelete