Friday, March 7, 2008

Deep Thoughts

Meet my four year old F-. He thinks deeply about everything. This week, my daughter in kindergarden celebrated Dr. Seuss' birthday. I shared how I remember Dr. Seuss' birthday every year- we share a birthday.
My parent's own a bookstore and frequently in a panic call me the night before or after my birthday to sing to me. They get a little distracted with their Dr. Suess birthday party at the store. I don't mind so much now and actually get a bit of a kick out of the panic.

Ok, so back to my deep thinking son. The other night at bedtime, F and I talked about Dr. Seuss' birthday and the books Dr. Seuss wrote. As we had our bedtime cuddle, I explained the concept of pen names to F. F went on to ask if Dr. Seuss was alive. I said not anymore, he died when he was 87 years old, about 15 or so years ago.

F asked many questions about death and dying and began to weep, then sob over the death of Dr. Seuss. The conversation covered many topics and questions, including Heavenly Father's plan for us, where did we live before we were born, why were we born, where do we go after we die, why do we die, when will we die, resurrection and much more. I never knew a simple discussion of Dr. Seuss' birthday would come full circle and address the cycle of our lives. I comforted my sweet, sorrowful, deep thinking boy and held him until he slept. I wonder at what point do we as adults forget to ask these important questions and become uncomfortable with our mortality?

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I love your blog! I have missed you guys and think of you often. Now I can keep up with you and your family through your blog. I hope you are all doing well! Lots of love,
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too Nicole, we should get together for a visit sometime soon we are not too far from each other. -des

    ReplyDelete