Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Broccoli



I love plants. I want to know what grows well in each place I live. I want to know their names and how much water do they require. I live in the desert and don't want to consume too much of such a precious resource. Unfortunately, my thumb is a browner shade of green and while I do not kill every plant I touch, not too many live to produce again.

I am always amazed at the simple beauty of plants and nature. Today, I cut some broccoli from my teeny tiny garden for our dinner tonight, placed it into a cup and thought it looked beautiful. If I picked up broccoli at the grocery store, I would see a gnarled stem naked of leaves and a huge uniform bulb of brocolli heads. Instead, from my garden, I can see the dark green leaves on one side and silver green on the back. I can see the beautiful shape and texture of each tiny bunch of broccoli. I may not have enough for dinner tonight- maybe I'll look at it instead.


6 comments:

  1. nicely written!

    I however have a knack for bringing plants to the brink of death and then reviving them to full luster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. its like totally whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. anonymous= my husband, no appreciation for natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Remember the true importance of broccoli is nutrition and fiber. The plant takes that from the soil, so you must replace it with both standard fertilizer and phytochemicals. Nice picture, BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the picture. I never knew brocoli could be so beautiful. Here is our family blog site. thejollygoodfellows.blogspot.com Check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the picture. Who knew brocoli was so beautiful? Here is our family blog

    thejollygoodfellows.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete